WEST LIBERTY – Bethel Mennonite Church, 416 Washington Ave., West Liberty, is celebrating its 125th anniversary this year. Founded in 1890, the church’s first structure was built in 1895. That building burned to the ground following a lightning strike in 1923 and Bethel rebuilt.
The congregation has been sharing historical facts and photos each Sunday this year. Anniversary activities culminate this weekend.
Bring the word II on Saturday, Oct. 24, will be a unique service. Three pastors will pull (unknown to them) Bible verses from a hat and give a five-minute sermon on the verse with no prior preparation. This was a big success earlier in the year.
Several former pastors have returned to the pulpit in this year-long celebration, and Duane Beck, a former Bethel pastor, will give the message on Sunday morning, Oct. 25, in a heated tent.
Quasquicentennial Weekend Schedule
Saturday, Oct. 24
– 4-6 p.m. Yard games
– 5-7 p.m. Wood-fired Pizza Dinner
– 7 p.m. Bring the Word II with Pastors Dave Maurer, Rick Stoner and Preston Yoder speaking and Byron Kauffman leading hymns
Sunday, Oct. 25
– 10 a.m. Worship Service – Pastor Duane Beck speaking
– Noon Pulled Pork Lunch (from the wood-fired oven). Bring sides to share
– 1 p.m. Talent Show & Bethel Historical Jeopardy
– 7 p.m. Joseph Helfrich Concert