Then and Now – Christiansburg Masonic Lodge


<strong>Then</strong>: This circa 1930 photo is of the Christiansburg Masonic Lodge building (Mt. Olivet Lodge No. 226 F&AM), established in 1852. Until 1856 the lodge met in the IOOF Hall. Then the lodge met on the third floor of a building built by James Smith on lot #11 (corner of North Main and Second streets). In 1879 the lodge purchased the building and rented the first floor to James Heffner, who established a grocery there. In 1898 the building was widened, and an addition was added to the west. In 1992 the building was severely damaged by fire. It was later repaired. The Champaign County Historical Society thanks Candy Gilliam for sharing this photo and other photos of locations in Christiansburg. Source: Christiansburg, Ohio, Reflections of Our Village, A Bicentennial History 1817-2017

Then: This circa 1930 photo is of the Christiansburg Masonic Lodge building (Mt. Olivet Lodge No. 226 F&AM), established in 1852. Until 1856 the lodge met in the IOOF Hall. Then the lodge met on the third floor of a building built by James Smith on lot #11 (corner of North Main and Second streets). In 1879 the lodge purchased the building and rented the first floor to James Heffner, who established a grocery there. In 1898 the building was widened, and an addition was added to the west. In 1992 the building was severely damaged by fire. It was later repaired. The Champaign County Historical Society thanks Candy Gilliam for sharing this photo and other photos of locations in Christiansburg. Source: Christiansburg, Ohio, Reflections of Our Village, A Bicentennial History 1817-2017


Photos courtesy of Candy Gilliam and the Champaign County Historical Society

Now: This is a 2018 photo of the Christiansburg Masonic Lodge building. Currently, the Christiansburg Community Library occupies the first floor. Also, the Marion Ross Museum is located in this building. Ross, a Civil War Veteran, was recipient of the Medal of Honor. The Champaign County Historical Society is an all-volunteer, not-for profit organization that preserves, protects, archives and displays the artifacts that tell the Champaign County story. The society depends upon donations and dues to provide a free public museum, which is open 10 a.m. – 4 p.m. Mondays and Tuesdays and 1-4 p.m. Sundays.


Photos courtesy of Candy Gilliam and the Champaign County Historical Society

Then: This circa 1930 photo is of the Christiansburg Masonic Lodge building (Mt. Olivet Lodge No. 226 F&AM), established in 1852. Until 1856 the lodge met in the IOOF Hall. Then the lodge met on the third floor of a building built by James Smith on lot #11 (corner of North Main and Second streets). In 1879 the lodge purchased the building and rented the first floor to James Heffner, who established a grocery there. In 1898 the building was widened, and an addition was added to the west. In 1992 the building was severely damaged by fire. It was later repaired. The Champaign County Historical Society thanks Candy Gilliam for sharing this photo and other photos of locations in Christiansburg. Source: Christiansburg, Ohio, Reflections of Our Village, A Bicentennial History 1817-2017

Now: This is a 2018 photo of the Christiansburg Masonic Lodge building. Currently, the Christiansburg Community Library occupies the first floor. Also, the Marion Ross Museum is located in this building. Ross, a Civil War Veteran, was recipient of the Medal of Honor. The Champaign County Historical Society is an all-volunteer, not-for profit organization that preserves, protects, archives and displays the artifacts that tell the Champaign County story. The society depends upon donations and dues to provide a free public museum, which is open 10 a.m. – 4 p.m. Mondays and Tuesdays and 1-4 p.m. Sundays.

Then: This circa 1930 photo is of the Christiansburg Masonic Lodge building (Mt. Olivet Lodge No. 226 F&AM), established in 1852. Until 1856 the lodge met in the IOOF Hall. Then the lodge met on the third floor of a building built by James Smith on lot #11 (corner of North Main and Second streets). In 1879 the lodge purchased the building and rented the first floor to James Heffner, who established a grocery there. In 1898 the building was widened, and an addition was added to the west. In 1992 the building was severely damaged by fire. It was later repaired. The Champaign County Historical Society thanks Candy Gilliam for sharing this photo and other photos of locations in Christiansburg. Source: Christiansburg, Ohio, Reflections of Our Village, A Bicentennial History 1817-2017
https://www.urbanacitizen.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/36/2018/10/web1_Then-1.jpgThen: This circa 1930 photo is of the Christiansburg Masonic Lodge building (Mt. Olivet Lodge No. 226 F&AM), established in 1852. Until 1856 the lodge met in the IOOF Hall. Then the lodge met on the third floor of a building built by James Smith on lot #11 (corner of North Main and Second streets). In 1879 the lodge purchased the building and rented the first floor to James Heffner, who established a grocery there. In 1898 the building was widened, and an addition was added to the west. In 1992 the building was severely damaged by fire. It was later repaired. The Champaign County Historical Society thanks Candy Gilliam for sharing this photo and other photos of locations in Christiansburg. Source: Christiansburg, Ohio, Reflections of Our Village, A Bicentennial History 1817-2017 Photos courtesy of Candy Gilliam and the Champaign County Historical Society

Now: This is a 2018 photo of the Christiansburg Masonic Lodge building. Currently, the Christiansburg Community Library occupies the first floor. Also, the Marion Ross Museum is located in this building. Ross, a Civil War Veteran, was recipient of the Medal of Honor. The Champaign County Historical Society is an all-volunteer, not-for profit organization that preserves, protects, archives and displays the artifacts that tell the Champaign County story. The society depends upon donations and dues to provide a free public museum, which is open 10 a.m. – 4 p.m. Mondays and Tuesdays and 1-4 p.m. Sundays.
https://www.urbanacitizen.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/36/2018/10/web1_Now-1.jpgNow: This is a 2018 photo of the Christiansburg Masonic Lodge building. Currently, the Christiansburg Community Library occupies the first floor. Also, the Marion Ross Museum is located in this building. Ross, a Civil War Veteran, was recipient of the Medal of Honor. The Champaign County Historical Society is an all-volunteer, not-for profit organization that preserves, protects, archives and displays the artifacts that tell the Champaign County story. The society depends upon donations and dues to provide a free public museum, which is open 10 a.m. – 4 p.m. Mondays and Tuesdays and 1-4 p.m. Sundays. Photos courtesy of Candy Gilliam and the Champaign County Historical Society