On Feb. 8, area law enforcement were attempting to locate Benjamin Cartwright, 39, of West Liberty, to check on his well-being after it had been reported he was upset, may be armed with a handgun and was driving with a suspended license. Police also were aware of an active arrest warrant for Cartwright out of Clark County Common Pleas Court for a failure to appear charge.
At 1:09 p.m., Urbana Police Officer A.J. Irvin spotted and stopped ta 1994 Chevrolet Cavalier that Cartwright was driving in the 200 block of Miami Street. While taking Cartwright into custody, police recovered illegal drugs, including suspected cocaine, methamphetamine, prescription medications, marijuana, drug paraphernalia, and cash. Police also recovered, under the driver seat, a .32-caliber handgun loaded with full metal jacket rounds, as well as additional drugs and drug paraphernalia.
Police learned that Cartwright was currently under Criminal Indictment out of Logan County Common Pleas Court for multiple felonies from November of 2016.
Cartwright’s vehicle was impounded and he was taken to the Tri-County Regional Jail, Mechanicsburg, on the following charges:
· Having Weapons While Under Disability – Felony 3
· Improperly Handling Firearms in a Motor Vehicle – Felony 4
· Carrying Concealed Weapons – Felony 4
· Possession of Cocaine – Felony 5
· Aggravated Possession of Drugs – Felony 5
· Possession of Controlled Substances – Misdemeanor 1
· Drug Paraphernalia – Misdemeanor 4
· Possession of Marijuana – Minor misdemeanor
· Driving Under Suspension – Misdemeanor 1
Submitted by the Urbana Police Division.