Man receives more prison time for vandalism crimes


A man already serving a prison term for offenses in two Champaign County criminal cases received additional time on his sentence Monday.

During a sentencing hearing, Zachary R. Garvey, 18, received a one-year prison sentence for fifth degree felony vandalism and breaking and entering along with misdemeanor charges of criminal trespass, petty theft and criminal damaging or endangering.

The charges against Garvey stem from an incident on Jan. 3. On that date, officers from the Urbana Police Division were asked to assist the Champaign County Sheriff’s Office in attempting to locate Garvey for a reported breaking and entering which had occurred in the 1600 block of West state Route 29 just outside city limits.

Garvey had last been observed running through a farm field eastbound toward the city.

Officers arrived in the area of Railroad Street and began a foot search. Shortly thereafter, officers observed a male subject walking in the area of the 900 block of Railroad Street and kept watch on him until he disappeared behind a building at 938 Railroad St., when they began hearing loud banging noises.

As the officers crept closer to the site, Garvey walked from behind the building and into their view, where they watched him get inside a vehicle parked at the property.

At 12:23 a.m., the officers identified themselves as police and ordered Garvey to stop. He proceeded to run from officers and a short foot pursuit ensued.

Following the chase, Garvey was placed into custody. Police found he was carrying a backpack with what turned out to be stolen cell phones and car keys inside as well as a hatchet.

Though Garvey told police the cell phones and keys were his, officers were able to locate the owner of the car they observed him getting into and confirmed the property belonged to the car owner.

Garvey pleaded guilty to the five charges on Feb. 9.

At the time of this offense, Garvey was on bond or personal recognizance after pleading guilty to three counts of vandalism and one count each of theft and receiving stolen property in addition to one count of unauthorized use of a vehicle in another criminal case.

Garvey was sentenced to 46-months in prison for the charges in the two previous criminal cases. On Monday, the court ordered for the sentence imposed in the latest criminal case to be served consecutively to the previous sentences adding another year to 46-month sentence.

In addition to the latest prison sentence, Garvey was ordered to pay a total of $1,849.66 to the victims of his most recent case.

Upon his release, Garvey is subject to post-release control for a period of up to three years.

Man pleads not guilty to burglary charges

In a separate case, a man who was indicted this month for allegedly breaking into multiple homes pleaded not guilty to the charges last Friday.

James D. Nichols Sr., 30, of Urbana, pleaded not guilty to three counts of burglary, two counts each of having weapons while under disability, grand theft when the property is a firearm or dangerous ordnance with a firearm specification, receiving stolen property with a firearm specification and one count each of petty theft, theft from a person in a protected class, burglary with a firearm specification, theft from a person in a protected class, theft of drugs, aggravated possession of drugs and aggravated trafficking in drugs.

The charges stem from multiple residential burglaries investigated by the Urbana Police Division since last fall. Two of the burglaries involved the homes of elderly victims and all four occurred while no one was home.

The burglaries occurred on Sept. 25, 2016, Nov. 13, 2016, and Dec. 19 and 24, 2016.

Urbana Police Chief Matt Lingrell said firearms, electronic devices, cash, coins and prescription medications were taken during these crimes. In some of the burglaries, forced entry was made while in others entry was made through unlocked entrances.

Nichols was previously placed on a personal recognizance bond on March 15. As part of this bond he was ordered to observe a curfew from 8 p.m. to 6 a.m. and have no contact with all individuals and people named as possible victims in the grand jury indictment.

A case scheduling conference in the case is scheduled for March 27.


By Nick Walton

[email protected]

Nick Walton can be reached at 937-652-1331 Ext. 1777 or on Twitter @UDCWalton.

No posts to display