Man charged in brawl may represent himself


A man indicted earlier this month for a physical altercation with law enforcement expressed his desire Tuesday to represent himself during his criminal case.

No plea was entered during an initial arraignment hearing for Anthony C. Hammond and the hearing was continued to Thursday.

Hammond, 55, is charged with two counts of assault and one count each of obstructing official business and resisting arrest. On Nov. 9, Hammond entered the Champaign County Municipal Court at the end of another hearing, causing a disturbance over an unrelated matter.

Hammond was ordered out of the court and was told he was in contempt of court. As an Urbana police officer and the court bailiff attempted to arrest Hammond, he continued to struggle causing the altercation to end up in the lobby of the municipal building.

Additional officers and a municipal court probation officer assisted in getting Hammond into custody.

During Tuesday’s hearing, Hammond often responded to questions from Magistrate Scott D. Schockling with silence. When asked why he did not stand as instructed by the court bailiff at the beginning of the hearing Hammond told the court he was preoccupied.

When the court discussed whether Hammond would be represented by a court-appointed attorney, he informed the court he wanted to represent himself. Schockling said a court-appointed attorney will be present Thursday to provide assistance if Hammond seeks it.

Hammond also referenced paperwork he wanted to file with the court throughout the hearing. Schockling said the court does not accept filings from litigants and they would need to be filed with the clerk of court’s office.

Hammond received a personal recognizance bond during the hearing.

Man pleads guilty to vandalism, other charges

The last of three people indicted for vandalism during the summer pleaded guilty to multiple charges against him Monday.

Zachary R. Garvey, 18, pleaded guilty to three counts of vandalism and one count each of petty theft and receiving stolen property during a plea hearing.

Garvey and co-defendants Adrian D. Recker and Kyle T. Duhl were all charged in relation to vandalism that occurred in Urbana in June resulting in heavy damage and a high loss of property to multiple victims.

Duhl, 19, and Recker, 19, were both previously placed on community control for five years.

As part of his plea resolution, Garvey agreed to jointly pay restitution to the victims in the amount of $76,546.59.

In addition to the vandalism case, Garvey also pleaded guilty to one count of unauthorized use of a vehicle from a separate case.

A sentencing hearing for Garvey is scheduled for Jan. 18, 2017.

By Nick Walton

[email protected]

Nick Walton can be reached at 937-652-1331 Ext. 1777 or on Twitter @UDCWalton.

No posts to display