WOODSTOCK – The cause of a mobile home fire where a teenager was killed last December was classified as undetermined according to an Ohio State Fire Marshal report completed this month.
On Dec. 23, 2015, Champaign County Sheriff’s deputies were on a routine patrol at 1:06 a.m. in the area of Woodstock when they discovered a home located at 122 S. Main St., engulfed in flames. Deputies exited their patrol vehicle and discovered an adult female and male juvenile coming out of the residence.
Both occupants tried going back inside and deputies were able to escort them away from the fire.
Deputies were advised that another male juvenile was inside the residence and made entry trying to find the other juvenile. Deputies believed that this subject was in the bathroom and attempted to get the door open, but could not make entry into the bathroom. Deputies exited the burning structure due to the excessive heat and flames.
Jordan Edley, 16, died in the fire. The female occupant of the home, Nicole Lee, 43, along with her younger son were treated for smoke inhalation at Memorial Hospital in Marysville.
The state fire marshal’s report states the investigation into the fire was closed on May 4, pending any additional investigative information.
The report recounts what took place the day of the fire, analyzes the area of origin, provides information on the exterior and interior examination, and other factors considered in the investigation.
The report states the area of origin was the approximate center of the trailer, the living room.
“An unknown ignition source ignited available fuel packages,” the report states. “The flames spread across the initial item/s, ignited and communicated to nearby target fuels. The fire grew in size drafting air from the interior of the trailer and eventually involved its combustible contents.”
The report notes four electric space heaters were located in the residence. A propane tank was located on the east side of the structure in the rear back yard, but the tank was 10 percent full and the report adds the occupants were not utilizing the propane service at the time of the fire.
The report mentions that smoke detectors were present in the residence, but Lee was not sure if she heard a smoke detector or not. The report notes the deputies who discovered the fire did not recall hearing smoke detectors.
Prior to the fire, Edley had been the victim of a kidnapping in November 2015 where four individuals abducted and assaulted him. Dakota W. Bailey, 19, was sent to prison for three years on two third degree felony abduction charges in relation to the kidnapping on April 5.