Man sent to prison for 17 months for drug possession


A man indicted this month after a drug raid was sent to prison Monday for drug offenses in a separate incident.

Ricky E. Daulton II, 42, was sentenced to 17 months in prison for felony charges of possession of cocaine and attempted tampering with evidence. As part of his sentence, Daulton was fined $250 and is subject to post release control up to three years upon his release.

A journal entry of the sentencing hearing notes Daulton committed the attempted tampering with evidence offense while on probation to the Champaign County Municipal Court for criminal mischief. The entry also notes he previously served a prison term from a 1994 case for trafficking in marijuana.

Daulton pleaded guilty to the charges during a plea hearing on March 21.

On March 25, the Urbana Police Division executed a search warrant at Daulton’s residence where he was found to be in possession of heroin, cocaine, drug abuse instruments and drug paraphernalia.

Daulton was indicted on one count each of possession of heroin, possession of cocaine, aggravated possession of drugs, possessing drug abuse instruments and illegal use or possession of drug paraphernalia stemming from the raid.

A motion to revoke Daulton’s personal recognizance bond was filed on March 31 citing the additional charges filed against him while he was on bond. The court terminated Daulton’s bond during Monday’s hearing and he shall remain in the Tri-County Regional Jail, Mechanicsburg, pending a scheduling conference on the most recent drug charges.

The scheduling conference is scheduled for Friday.

Man pleads guilty to fleeing law enforcement

A man accused of fleeing from law enforcement earlier this month pleaded guilty last week to charges related to the incident.

Jeffrey D. Keeler, 50, of Urbana, pleaded guilty to a fifth degree felony obstructing official business charge in addition to a first degree misdemeanor operating a vehicle under the influence of alcohol, a drug of abuse or a combination of them on Friday.

The charges were introduced through a bill of information and a sentencing hearing is scheduled for May 31.

On April 9, the Champaign County 911 Communications Center received a call from a resident stating an older white Buick traveling southbound on North U.S. Route 68, near East state Route 296, went left of center and struck a guardrail before being driving from the scene.

After Champaign County sheriff deputies located a vehicle matching the description, the suspect vehicle continued through a posted stop sign, failing to yield at the sign before heading southbound on East Lawn Avenue toward Urbana.

Deputies continued pursuing the vehicle as it continued southbound on East Lawn Avenue as they observed it traveling in the left lane at an estimated speed of 50 mph in a 35 mph zone.

The vehicle stopped near the intersection of Boyce Street and Madison Avenue. Keeler exited the vehicle and stood in the middle of the roadway. Deputies noticed Keeler had blood running down his face from the top of his head.

Urbana EMS personnel responded so Keeler could receive medical treatment. He reportedly became argumentative with paramedics and would not comply with requests. Keeler was eventually taken to Mercy Memorial Hospital where he was argumentative with hospital staff.


By Nick Walton

[email protected]

Nick Walton can be reached at 937-652-1331 Ext. 1777 or on Twitter @UDCWalton.

No posts to display