No plea resolution reached in Champaign County assault case

A plea resolution was not reached in an assault case prior to a hearing held earlier this week.

During a final pre-trial conference in the case of Kevin L. Connolly held on Monday, Champaign County Prosecutor Kevin Talebi informed the court that no plea agreement had been reached in the case.

Connolly, 39, of Cable, was indicted in August on four second-degree felony counts of felonious assault stemming from an Aug. 5 incident.

On that date, Champaign County deputies were dispatched to a Wayne Township residence in reference to an assault with a pipe.

A bill of particulars filed on Aug. 26 states Connolly allegedly struck the victim in the back of the head with a metal pipe causing the victim to sustain head injuries that required him to be transported by MedFlight to Grant Hospital in Columbus. The bill of particulars also states the victim sustained a broken ankle.

Connolly pleaded not guilty to the charges on Aug. 19, was placed on a personal recognizance bond and is prohibited from having contact with the victim.

Also on Monday, Connolly’s attorney, Christopher R. Bucio, requested a continuance of the October trial date due to the need to perform additional investigation. The court granted this request and the trial is scheduled to start on Nov. 3.

Co-defendant in kidnapping ruled competent

A co-defendant in a kidnapping case was ruled to be competent to stand trial during a hearing held on Tuesday.

Lindsey Corfman, 20, was indicted on three counts of abduction and one count each of aggravated burglary, felonious assault and kidnapping for her alleged involvement in a May 14 incident.

Corfman reportedly assisted her mother, Edith A. Corfman, in attacking and kidnapping her brother’s girlfriend and kidnapping an infant and a 4-year-old child on that date. After attacking the victim, the Corfmans allegedly tied her up and forced her and the two children into a vehicle that stopped near the city pond at Melvin Miller Park.

Edith Corfman reportedly threatened to throw the infant into the pond unless the victim agreed to help convince her son to give up custody of the child to her. She was sentenced to nine years and six months in prison last month for felonious assault and abduction.

A not guilty by reason of insanity plea was accepted on Lindsey Corfman’s behalf in August and she was scheduled to undergo an evaluation to determine her competency to stand trial.

Also during Tuesday’s hearing, a final pre-trial conference was scheduled for Oct. 26 and a trial is currently scheduled for Dec. 8.

By Nick Walton

Nick Walton can be reached at 937-652-1331 Ext. 1777 or on Twitter @UDCWalton.