Local business robbery under investigation


The Urbana Police Division is investigating a robbery that occurred just after 10 p.m. Monday at the Internet Cafe, 686 Scioto St.

Urbana Police Chief Matt Lingrell states in a press release that a man entered the business wearing a hoodie sweatshirt with the hood up around his face and his face covered with an ACE bandage in an attempt to conceal his identity.

The robber announced to the store employee that a robbery was occurring and demanded money from the register. He held his hand inside his pants giving the employee the impression that he was armed.

Two customers were inside the store at the time. The robber fled the business on foot after obtaining an undetermined amount of money, police said.

Officers processed the crime scene while other officers attempted to locate the robber.

Lingrell stated police are following leads. An arrest had not been made as of Tuesday morning. Police are asking for anyone with information to notify the division at 937-652-4350.

Lingrell stated Monday’s incident marked the third robbery in Urbana this year.

On March 5, police responded to Security National Bank, 828 Scioto St., after two bank employees were approached outside by a man wearing a stocking over his face. The man demanded the employees turn over a bag they were carrying.

While no weapon was shown, the robber indicated to employees that he was armed. Police later identified Ryan H. Seibert and Michaela M. Anderson as people of interest in the case, but Lingrell stated Tuesday that the case remained unresolved.

In a separate case, police responded to an incident on April 4 in which a man was allegedly stabbed during a theft attempt.

A grand jury indicted Larry H. McLaughlin, 66, of 208 N. High St., on one count each of aggravated robbery, felonious assault, carrying a concealed weapon, resisting arrest, vandalism and assault.

Court documents state that during a theft, McLaughlin allegedly pulled a knife and stabbed a man’s stomach. The victim was not transported to a hospital following the incident.

McLaughlin pleaded not guilty to the charges on June 8. As part of his bond, he was placed on electronic monitored house arrest on June 5.

During a final pretrial conference held on Monday, the court was informed that no plea resolution had been reached despite a proposed plea resolution being placed on the record by the state. A trial is scheduled to start on Sept. 8.

A motion to modify McLaughlin’s bond to remove the electronic monitoring was denied.

By Nick Walton

[email protected]

Nick Walton can be reached at 937-652-1331 Ext. 1777 or on Twitter @UDCWalton.

No posts to display