Urbana police seeking to add vehicles to fleet


The Urbana Police Division could soon have two new vehicles at its disposal if Urbana City Council approves the purchases during its 7 p.m. meeting today in municipal court chambers.

City administration will recommend the two vehicles – a 2015 Dodge Charger and 2016 Ford Fusion – both be purchased from White’s Service Center at a cost of $27,758 and $15,226.46, respectively.

In regard to the ongoing improvements at Grimes Field, council will be asked to sign off on a purchase order to J.J. Cunningham LLC in the amount of $137,427 for the Federal Aviation Administration’s (FAA) Airport Improvement Program (AIP) 2015 Taxiway/Taxilane Rehabilitation Project.

According to the administration, 90 percent of the expenditure would be covered through an FAA grant, pending official notification, and the remaining 10 percent would be paid through the Airport Capital Improvement Fund.

Council will also vote on the following items recommended by the administration:

•The amendment of an existing contract with Hull and Associates Inc. to authorize additional task orders in the amount of $19,100 for bid document preparation services and bid process assistance services for the Q3 JMC Redevelopment Project.

•A blanket purchase order to EJP in the amount of $20,000 for various repair parts for the maintenance of the city’s water system.


Council will hear the third and final reading of an ordinance establishing the compensation of future elected city officials.

If approved, changes in compensation for the mayor and council president will take effect Jan. 1, 2016, while only council members beginning a term in 2016 or thereafter will see a change in compensation.

New measures being presented to council include an ordinance to authorize the director of administration to submit a request to the Champaign County Board of Revision to transfer the 26 parcels located on the Q3 JMC property to the city in order to facilitate re-utilization of nonproductive land, as well as a resolution to approve a water tap-in for the former Lawnview School, 2200 S. U.S. Route 68, owned by the Champaign County Commissioners.

Also scheduled for a first reading is an ordinance seeking to prohibit the use of indoor furniture in an outdoor environment due to the health, safety and sanitary issues the furniture creates such as mold, mildew and vermin infestation.

By Joshua Keeran

[email protected]

Joshua Keeran may be reached at 937-652-1331 (ext. 1774) or on Twitter @UDCKeeran.

No posts to display