Then and Now: Magrew-Westville School


By Ward Lutz - Contributing writer



Then - This circa 1910 photo is of the Magrew school in Westville.


Photos courtesy of the Champaign County Historical Society

Now - This 2015 photo is of the same structure, now the Renewed Strength Church.


Photos courtesy of the Champaign County Historical Society

The “Then” photo is of the school at Magrew (Westville, circa 1910 (CCHM #A2688/Champaign County Historical Society). The building is located on north side of West U.S. Route 36, approximately 1/5 mile west of state Route 560. The building was enlarged from two to six rooms in 1901 to accommodate Westville Precinct Schools. In 1915 a two-story addition to the east was made. This addition contained a gymnasium on the first floor and a large classroom on the second floor. The Graham High School building was ready for occupancy in 1957. Terre Haute and Westville schools were then converted to elementary schools. They were closed in 1963, as described in Early Schools of Champaign County by Edgar A. Ridder, Pat Stickley, and June Kiser.

The “Now” 2015 photo is of the same building, now home of the Renewed Strength Church.

Photos sought

Do you have Champaign County photos of historical significance?

If so, consider making them available to the Champaign County Historical Museum via one of the following means:

Donate the actual original

Bring the original to the museum (open Mon, & Tues.) wherein we will scan it and return it to you

Scan the original yourself and attach it to an e-mail (champhistmus@ctcn.net)

If submitting by e-mail attachment, please provide a brief description of the photo, names of individuals in the photo, approximate date of photo, etc.

Then – This circa 1910 photo is of the Magrew school in Westville.
http://www.urbanacitizen.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/36/2017/12/web1_ThenWeb.jpgThen – This circa 1910 photo is of the Magrew school in Westville. Photos courtesy of the Champaign County Historical Society

Now – This 2015 photo is of the same structure, now the Renewed Strength Church.
http://www.urbanacitizen.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/36/2017/12/web1_NowWeb.jpgNow – This 2015 photo is of the same structure, now the Renewed Strength Church. Photos courtesy of the Champaign County Historical Society

By Ward Lutz

Contributing writer

Ward Lutz is a member of the Champaign County Historical Society.

Ward Lutz is a member of the Champaign County Historical Society.