The Urbana Church of Christ in Christian Union, 1115 N. Main St., will celebrate its past, present and future over three Sundays in September.
At 10:30 a.m. Sunday, Sept. 6, the church celebrates the present with recognizing and expressing appreciation to our many current workers for what they do to serve God in the church.
On Sunday, Sept. 13, it will celebrate the past history of the church, which began in the 1920s, and when the church became part of the Churches of Christ in Christian Union in 1938 while at 325 E. Water St., Urbana. When at 325 E. Water St. in 1943, land was purchased at 1101 N. Main St., which had an old greenhouse and Quonset hut building on property. Plans began immediately on building a new church in 1943-1944. Dedication on the new church was in November 1944. The church was paid for by individual and manufacturing companies in Urbana. Most of the work was done by church members, and brick work was done by contractors. Former Pastor Rev. David Van Hoose will speak in the 10 a.m. service and share some of the history. Following the morning service there will be a carry-in lunch in the Fellowship Hall, 1121 N. Main St. (this was the former Burnside Trucking Firm building which was purchased in 1977 from Mr. Burnside’s estate). There will be an afternoon service at 2 p.m. with Rev. Dan Stires (former pastor). In each of these services there will be special music.
At 10:30 a.m. Sunday, Sept. 20, the church will celebrate the future of the church. Pastor Rev. Mike Grable will speak. We invite all to attend these services as we are – and always have been – a part of this great community.
Submitted by the Urbana Church of Christ in Christian Union.