Grafton United Methodist Church invites all to an Open House celebrating completion of a 7,000-square-foot addition to the church on Sunday, Oct. 7, from 3 to 5 p.m. The addition to the 1912 structure is the result of a three-year capital campaign.
UMC is also celebrating its 180th anniversary as a church. Grafton UMC is located at 2968 Dialton Road, just north of Old Troy Pike.
“The Grafton Open House is open to anyone in the community, including our neighbors, area pastors and churches, school officials, government officials, and those involved in the construction phase. It is the mission of the church to reach out and meet the spiritual needs of our community,” said Kee Circle, Open House organizer.
The Open House will be hosted by Circle, Valerie Vulgamore and various church board members. The new addition and the current church will be open, tours will be provided, and light refreshments will be served.
The building project was chaired by John Vulgamore and the church trustees and was supported financially by church members and other individuals committed to this project.
The Grafton church was founded by the Grafton family, newly arrived from Virginia, and organized in 1838 as Grafton Chapel. There was a membership of just 15 people and they worshiped in a log building. In 1912 the current building was constructed to serve the growing attendance. This building has served the congregation since that time. With recent growth, especially with younger families, the need was to create an enlarged space and handicap accessibility.
Pastor Mark Atterholt is the current pastor. While under his leadership during the past 10 years, the church has experienced growth and vitality. There is ongoing interest in missions, children, youth and adult ministries. Other ministries include the Champaign County Fair Food Pavilion, reviveOhio, and Aldersgate Renewal Ministries.
Services are held each Sunday at 10:30 a.m. with Sunday School at 9:30 a.m.
Submitted by Grafton United Methodist Church.