The Urbana University football team (4-1, 3-1 MEC) looks to keep rolling in its historic start when UVa-Wise comes to town for Saturday’s homecoming game. The Blue Knights will host the Cavaliers (1-4, 1-4 MEC) with a 1 p.m. kickoff time at UU Stadium. The game will air live on UUBlueKnights.com and be simulcast on Campus Nation Sports Network.
* UU is off to its best start since 2007 and it’s only the fourth time the Blue Knights have opened with a 4-1 ledger (2005, 2006, 2007)
* UU has won four straight home games, dating back to last season (3-0 this season)
* A win Saturday would be only the fifth time a UU team has won four consecutive games (05, 07, 11, 13)
* UU has previously started 5-1 twice in program history (05 & 07)
* The last UU homecoming victory happened on Oct. 12, 2013 (22-10 vs. Concord)
* UU is 1-3 all-time in the series against UVa-Wise
* The Cavs won the previous three meetings by 10 or fewer points, including a 51-41 shootout at Wise last season
* UU fell 39-36 in the last meeting between the two schools at UU Stadium in 2016
* UU Redshirt freshman QB Zairn Davis won his first collegiate start last week and has three touchdown passes this season
* UU is limiting opponents to 89.4 rushing yards per game (2nd in MEC / 14th in NCAA II)
* The Blue Knights have allowed only three sacks to opposing defenses (1st in MEC / 8th in NCAA II)
* UU is tied for first in the nation with the most fumbles recovered through five games (9)
* The UU defense is also ranked second in the nation for most team tackles for loss (10.4/game) and 25th for most sacks (3/game)
* UU has the reigning back-to-back MEC Defensive Player of the Week award winners (Mikal Toliver & Bozton Sanders)
* UU is currently tied for third in the conference standings after being picked 10th in the coaches preseason poll
SCOUTING THE OPPONENT
UVa-Wise, under third-year head coach Dane Damron, will look to halt a six-game road conference losing streak on Saturday. This season, offense has been a struggle as the Cavs enter play Saturday having eclipsed 17 points just once in the season’s first five games. Last week, UVa-Wise was limited to six points as the team turned the ball over twice thwarting would-be scoring chances. Quarterback Tanner Bernard completed 23-of-39 passes for 232 yards and a touchdown while adding a 20-yard rush in last week’s game. The freshman has completed 64.9 percent of his passes this season while throwing for 661 yards and five touchdowns.
Urbana University will officially unveil its new athletic facility, located next to UU Stadium, with a ribbon-cutting ceremony prior to Saturday’s football game. In addition, UU Athletics will recognize this year’s Hall of Fame inductee, Chris Willis (‘94), during halftime and also with a brief post-game ceremony at the UU Student Center.