The circa 1929 photo (#A745) of the St. Mary School, Church and Rectory on Washington Avenue, between Locust and Kenton streets, was taken looking south across Washington Avenue. Property adjoining the church was acquired and a new school opened in 1908. After several alterations and remodeling, the building was used as both a high school and elementary school.
The 2019 photo of the same location shows that the old church is gone. The rectory and school building remain, but the last high school class graduated in 1958. The elementary continued until recent years. St. Mary Church is now located across from the rectory on Washington Avenue.
Submitted by the Champaign County Historical Museum, a not-for-profit organization that depends upon donations and dues to preserve, protect, archive and display the artifacts that tell the Champaign County story. The free public museum, 809 East Lawn Ave., Urbana, is temporarily closed due to COVID-19. Regular hours are 10 a.m.-4 p.m. Tuesdays-Fridays; and 10 a.m.-2 p.m. Saturdays.