Then and Now: Magrew/Westville


Then - This is a photo of Main Street, Magrew (Westville), looking west at the intersection of what is now U.S. Route 36 and state Route 560. The former Baker Grocery is on the southwest corner. The upper story of the building had an auditorium with a stage. The Grange Hall (1876) is on the northeast corner. It is not known when this photo was taken. The absence of cars suggests early 1900. Notice the buggy proceeding up the hill. Westville was platted in 1815 by Archibald Magrew. The historical society has 1908 and 1909 postcards post marked Magrew. It is not known during which time period the community was officially designated Magrew.

Then - This is a photo of Main Street, Magrew (Westville), looking west at the intersection of what is now U.S. Route 36 and state Route 560. The former Baker Grocery is on the southwest corner. The upper story of the building had an auditorium with a stage. The Grange Hall (1876) is on the northeast corner. It is not known when this photo was taken. The absence of cars suggests early 1900. Notice the buggy proceeding up the hill. Westville was platted in 1815 by Archibald Magrew. The historical society has 1908 and 1909 postcards post marked Magrew. It is not known during which time period the community was officially designated Magrew.


Courtesy of the Champaign County Historical Society.

Now - This photo of the same location was taken in 2015.


Courtesy of the Champaign County Historical Society.

Then – This is a photo of Main Street, Magrew (Westville), looking west at the intersection of what is now U.S. Route 36 and state Route 560. The former Baker Grocery is on the southwest corner. The upper story of the building had an auditorium with a stage. The Grange Hall (1876) is on the northeast corner. It is not known when this photo was taken. The absence of cars suggests early 1900. Notice the buggy proceeding up the hill. Westville was platted in 1815 by Archibald Magrew. The historical society has 1908 and 1909 postcards post marked Magrew. It is not known during which time period the community was officially designated Magrew.

Now – This photo of the same location was taken in 2015.

Then – This is a photo of Main Street, Magrew (Westville), looking west at the intersection of what is now U.S. Route 36 and state Route 560. The former Baker Grocery is on the southwest corner. The upper story of the building had an auditorium with a stage. The Grange Hall (1876) is on the northeast corner. It is not known when this photo was taken. The absence of cars suggests early 1900. Notice the buggy proceeding up the hill. Westville was platted in 1815 by Archibald Magrew. The historical society has 1908 and 1909 postcards post marked Magrew. It is not known during which time period the community was officially designated Magrew.
https://www.urbanacitizen.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/36/2017/07/web1_Then-Main-Street-2c-Magrew-2c-Ohio.jpgThen – This is a photo of Main Street, Magrew (Westville), looking west at the intersection of what is now U.S. Route 36 and state Route 560. The former Baker Grocery is on the southwest corner. The upper story of the building had an auditorium with a stage. The Grange Hall (1876) is on the northeast corner. It is not known when this photo was taken. The absence of cars suggests early 1900. Notice the buggy proceeding up the hill. Westville was platted in 1815 by Archibald Magrew. The historical society has 1908 and 1909 postcards post marked Magrew. It is not known during which time period the community was officially designated Magrew. Courtesy of the Champaign County Historical Society.

Now – This photo of the same location was taken in 2015.
https://www.urbanacitizen.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/36/2017/07/web1_Now-Main-Street-2c-Magrew-2c-Ohio.jpgNow – This photo of the same location was taken in 2015. Courtesy of the Champaign County Historical Society.