WEST LIBERTY – A landmark is for sale in the village.
“In 1901, West Liberty Public Schools opened its new $25,000 school building. The new structure was built of stone and described as ‘artistic in design both inside and out and supplied with every modern convenience.’ It had eight large school rooms with cloak and hat room for each. Two recitation rooms, superintendent’s office and library and laboratory rooms, and spacious halls. The basement was fitted up with play rooms, toilet-rooms, furnaces, etc. The auditorium in the upper story was to be completed in the future. Taken altogether, it was quoted as one of the most up-to-date school buildings in this section of Ohio.”
The above information was taken from the West Liberty Banner, September 1901.
When West Liberty-Salem constructed new buildings on U.S. Route 68 circa 1990, the school was decomissioned and sold to a private party.
The building is is now privately-owned and offered for sale by Joel Veldt (937-844-7004) of West Liberty.
Newspaper article from 1901 is courtesy of the Logan County Historical Society.