Burton Guthrie’s Grocery and Filling Station site became Johnson Manufacturing


By Ward Lutz - Champaign County Historical Society



This photo is of Burton Guthrie’s Grocery and Filling Station, 621 Miami St., Urbana, circa 1927.

This photo is of Burton Guthrie’s Grocery and Filling Station, 621 Miami St., Urbana, circa 1927.


Submitted photos

Here’s a Burton Guthrie’s Grocery delivery truck.


Submitted photos

This photo shows the site in 2015, with the former Johnson Manufacturing building.


Submitted photos

Then – The first “Then” photo is of Burton Guthrie’s Grocery and Filling Station at 621 Miami St., Urbana, circa 1927. It is assumed that the person standing in front is Mr. Burton. Note limestone curbs and brick pavement. Talk about one-stop shopping! The second “Then” photo is a copy of a postcard of a delivery truck for Burton Guthrie’s Grocery. On the back of the postcard it states “1914 first delivery auto in Urbana”. Wouldn’t you like to have this vehicle today?

Now – This 2015 photo looks south across Miami Street to the entrance of the parking area next to the former Johnson Manufacturing site. Note the start of the Simon Kenton Trail on the right side of the photo.

(Champaign County Historical Museum items #0184, #0185, #A1551, & A1876)

This photo is of Burton Guthrie’s Grocery and Filling Station, 621 Miami St., Urbana, circa 1927.
https://www.urbanacitizen.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/36/2017/04/web1_621-Miami-Street-Then-1.jpgThis photo is of Burton Guthrie’s Grocery and Filling Station, 621 Miami St., Urbana, circa 1927. Submitted photos

Here’s a Burton Guthrie’s Grocery delivery truck.
https://www.urbanacitizen.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/36/2017/04/web1_621-Miami-Street-Then-2.jpgHere’s a Burton Guthrie’s Grocery delivery truck. Submitted photos

This photo shows the site in 2015, with the former Johnson Manufacturing building.
https://www.urbanacitizen.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/36/2017/04/web1_621-Miami-Street-Now.jpgThis photo shows the site in 2015, with the former Johnson Manufacturing building. Submitted photos

By Ward Lutz

Champaign County Historical Society

Submitted by the Champaign County Historical Society.

Submitted by the Champaign County Historical Society.