Fire damages house on Wesley Chapel Road


Staff report



Fire damage is shown in this photo from Friday afternoon at 5517 Wesley Chapel Road, located northwest of Urbana. The fire is believed to have started in a wood-burning stove.

Fire damage is shown in this photo from Friday afternoon at 5517 Wesley Chapel Road, located northwest of Urbana. The fire is believed to have started in a wood-burning stove.


Steve Stout | Urbana Daily Citizen

A fire caused by a wood-burning stove resulted in significant damage to a residence Thursday afternoon.

No injuries were reported in the fire at 5517 Wesley Chapel Road.

West Liberty Fire Chief Conrad Hostetler said the department responded to the residence around 9:30 p.m. on a report that a wood-burning stove was on fire.

Once crews arrived, he said, the whole back end of the house was on fire.

Hostetler said the house is still standing but was totaled in the fire. Damages were estimated at $150,000.

The Rosewood Fire Department also responded to the fire.

Hostetler stated the occupants were being assisted by the Red Cross.

According to the Champaign County Auditor’s website, the property is owned by Troy R. Saylor.

This was the second residential fire in a week to severely damage a home in the northwest portion of Champaign County.

A dwelling fire at 9973 Carlisle Pike in Springhills resulted in a total loss of the Jean Levering home and displacement of four occupants.

The fire was called in at approximately 3:35 a.m. Sunday. West Liberty and DeGraff fire crews responded to the scene. No people were reported injured, but two dogs perished in the fire.

According to the West Liberty Fire Department, the fire was cooking-related.

Fire damage is shown in this photo from Friday afternoon at 5517 Wesley Chapel Road, located northwest of Urbana. The fire is believed to have started in a wood-burning stove.
https://www.urbanacitizen.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/36/2017/03/web1_fire.jpgFire damage is shown in this photo from Friday afternoon at 5517 Wesley Chapel Road, located northwest of Urbana. The fire is believed to have started in a wood-burning stove. Steve Stout | Urbana Daily Citizen

Staff report