Crews respond to kitchen fire


Staff report



The Urbana Fire Division responded to a kitchen fire at 3:17 p.m. Wednesday that displaced residents of 635 E. Ward St. No one was injured.

Urbana Fire Chief Mark Keller said crews observed heavy smoke coming from the roof vents and inside the house. He said the fire was accidental as a result of cooking.

Keller said the kitchen area was a total loss and the fire caused smoke damage throughout the house.

Keller said residents were assisted by the Red Cross.

The property is owned by Don A Ratliff, according to the Champaign County auditor’s website.

Mutual aid was provided by the Mechanicsburg Fire Department and the West Liberty Fire Department.

Staff report