The Champaign County Historical Society Museum is taking old photos from its files and photographing the same scenes as they appear today. Archive 0319 is identified as a vintage 1949 photo taken from outside the Pennsylvania Railroad Depot, viewing part of the brick platforms looking northeast toward North Russell Street. On the right side of the tracks are the west sides of two businesses: The W.H. Marvin Company, a food packaging company, and the Murphy Lumber Company. In the distance, on the left of the overhead bridge of the New York Central Railway is the Urbana Control Tower and numerous utility poles and wires strung alongside the railroad tracks cluttering the view.
The 2016 “Now” photo shows part of the Simon Kenton Pathway Trail making its way from the elevated section of the trail to Miami Street, which joins another section of the bike path near the Coffee Depot, not seen but on the left. The buildings on the right are part of the W.H. Marvin building now known as All Phase Electric with the parking area being where Murphy Lumber Company once operated before it burned to the ground in the 1970’s. Concrete planters line the bike path at this location now. Come to the Champaign County Historical Society Museum at 809 East Lawn Avenue, Urbana, Ohio, to see and learn more about our local heritage. Open Mondays and Tuesdays from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m., staffed with volunteers, and open one Sunday a month at 2 p.m. with a program. It is also opened by scheduled appointments.
Submitted by the Champaign County Historical Society.