The “Then” circa 1930 photo shows the railroad side of the Erie Railroad Passenger Depot in Urbana. It is looking northeast toward the New York Central Railroad overpass, over the Erie Railroad tracks and the Pennsylvania RR tracks. This depot was north of Miami Street and west of the elevated tracks. Notice part of a water tower on the left that gravity fed water under the tracks to the depot, where the train engines refilled their boilers. By the looks of the smoke in the sky, a locomotive is about to come around the bend into the station. Also notice the baggage wagon and the train traffic signal for trains going east. Come to the Champaign County Historical Society Museum at 809 East Lawn Avenue, Urbana, Ohio, to see and learn more about our local heritage. Open Mondays and Tuesdays from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m., staffed with volunteers, and open one Sunday a month at 2 p.m. with a program. It is also opened by scheduled appointments.
The “Now” 2016 photo taken by Champaign County Historical Society member Ward Lutz does not show the Erie Railroad Passenger Depot since it no longer exists, but does show the old New York Central overpass that crosses over one train track and the Simon Kenton Trail, which crosses to Miami Street. It now shows part of the bike trail that runs along side the restored 1913 boxcar turned 1943 caboose that is on display near the Coffee Depot on the north side of Miami Street. There are two more Ohio Historical Markers not visible in the photo but in the vicinity one that tell of President Lincoln’s Funeral Train visit and the other telling about the railroad car that is also available for touring. The “Now” photo may have been taken closer and from a slightly different angle to the railroad over pass in order to use the overpass as a common focal point with the “Then” photo as now trees otherwise hide the overpass from view.
Submitted by the Champaign County Historical Society.