SPRINGFIELD, Ohio (AP) — The case of a 16-year-old boy accused of killing his 14-year-old brother after an argument over Halloween candy is being moved from juvenile court to adult court.
The Springfield teen told police he repeatedly hit his sleeping brother in the head with a baseball bat, then stabbed him in the neck with a knife to stop the “noise” he was making after the beating, according to court records and investigators. Their grandmother found him dead in bed on Oct. 31.
A prosecutor said the juvenile-court judge’s decision this week to move the case to adult court reflects the severity of the crime, the Springfield News-Sun (http://bit.ly/2f4nfcF ) reported.
“When you bludgeon your little brother to death with a baseball bat and then stab him with a knife, at that point you need to be punished for it and the public needs to be protected from you,” Clark County Prosecutor Andy Wilson said.
Defense lawyers had argued the case should be dismissed because of the teen’s age. Instead, it will be presented to a grand jury.
Wilson wouldn’t comment on exactly what charges he’ll ask the grand jury to approve against the teen, who had been charged as a juvenile with murder and tampering with evidence.
The boy had been held in juvenile detention but was moved to the county jail this week, with bond set at $100,000.
Information from: Springfield News-Sun, http://www.springfieldnewssun.com