Remains returned for sailor killed in Pearl Harbor attack


CLEVELAND (AP) — The remains of a sailor killed 75 years ago in the attack on Pearl Harbor have returned to Ohio and are set to be buried with full military honors.

Rudolph Piskuran, of Elyria (eh-LEER’-ee-uh), and 429 other sailors aboard the USS Oklahoma were killed on Dec. 7, 1941 when a torpedo struck the ship.

The 19-year-old’s remains were identified earlier this year through DNA testing. His remains arrived in Cleveland on Thursday. Piskuran will be buried Friday morning at St. Mary’s Cemetery in Elyria.

Piskuran was a 1940 graduate of Elyria High School.

In a letter dated eight days before the attack, Piskuran told his parents he felt safe and happy. He said he was more concerned about volcanoes than the Japanese.