Your daily look at late-breaking news, upcoming events and the stories that will be talked about Friday:
1. ROMNEY, MCCAIN SAY TRUMP ENDANGERS AMERICA’S FUTURE
The party’s most recent presidential nominees lambast the billionaire businessman, calling him unfit for office and a danger for the nation and the GOP.
2. NORTH KOREA MAKES NUCLEAR THREAT
Kim Jong-un orders his country’s nuclear weapons made ready for use at a moment’s notice, the country’s official state news agency reports.
3. IN A FIELD ON THE EDGE OF GREECE, REFUGEES’ DESPERATION GROWS
By the hundreds they come, dragging toddlers and pushing the injured in wheelchairs — a seemingly endless stream of humanity heading north for a better life.
4. U.S. MILITARY BEGINNING TO RECRUIT WOMEN FOR COMBAT JOBS
All of the services say they have made required changes to base bathrooms and other facilities to accommodate women.
5. WHERE CHRISTIAN HAMLET BEARS SCARS OF FIERCE FIGHTING
Residents of Syria’s Maaloula recall the shock they felt when they returned to the town that fell to jihadi militants in 2013, and was recaptured by the Syrian army in 2014.
6. TECH INDUSTRY GROUPS, SECURITY EXPERTS BACK APPLE
Leading U.S. companies join independent programmers and civil liberties advocates who filed court papers backing CEO Tim Cook in his fight with the FBI over an iPhone used by a killer.
7. WHO SAYS AMERICANS SHOULD PAY MORE ATTENTION TO THE WORLD
This is the advice dispensed by Canada’s PM Justin Trudeau, who also takes a jab at an unnamed U.S. presidential candidate whose rise he attributes to Americans’ lack of knowledge of foreign affairs.
8. MAN FINDS POSSIBLE MALAYSIAN PLANE DEBRIS
An American adventurer says that he discovered part of an aircraft on a sandbar off the coast of Mozambique and initially thought it was from a small jet.
9. U.S. SEEKS END TO YELLOWSTONE GRIZZLY PROTECTIONS
The move would open the door to future hunts for the fearsome bruins across a three-state region.
10. WHOSE SUSPENSION IS BACK ON THE TABLE
Circuit Judge Denny Chin says evidence of ball tampering in Tom Brady’s Deflategate is “compelling, if not overwhelming,” suggesting the quarterback “knew about it, consented to it, encouraged it.”
RECOMMENDED FOR YOU