Your daily look at late-breaking news, upcoming events and the stories that will be talked about Tuesday.
1. TRUMP REMAINS SKEPTICAL OF CIA’S RUSSIA HACKING CLAIM
The president-elect re-emphasizes that he does not accept the conclusion that the Kremlin tried to disrupt the election in his favor.
2. WHERE PRESIDENTIAL RECOUNTS END
Wisconsin recount confirms Trump win, and federal judge reject’s Green-Party backed request for paper-ballot recount in Pennsylvania.
3. SYRIAN MILITARY SAYS IT CONTROLS 99 PERCENT OF EASTERN ALEPPO
Government forces close in on the last remaining sliver of a rebel enclave packed with fighters as well as thousands of civilians.
4. HOW THE FED MIGHT ADJUST RATES THIS WEEK
Economists and investors expect the central bank to raise key rate by modest quarter-point, which could lead to slightly higher rates on some consumer and business loans.
5. REPORT RAPS LACK OF TRANSPARENCY IN FIGHT VS ISLAMIC STATE
A non-governmental group says coalition airstrikes have killed at least 1,500 civilians in Iraq — far greater than the death toll of 173 U.S. officials reported.
6. 4 YEARS AFTER SANDY HOOK, GUN CONTROL ADVOCATES BYPASS WASHINGTON
Activists say they have generated enough support since the Newtown massacre to push for state-level measures like universal background checks.
7. WADA GOES PUBLIC WITH RUSSIAN DOPING EMAILS
Russia’s doping cover-up went far beyond the Olympics, according to a vast archive of emails released by a World Anti-Doping Agency investigator.
8. RURAL OPIOID USE DRIVES SURGE OF DRUG-AFFECTED NEWBORNS
More U.S infants in rural areas are being born with symptoms of withdrawal from heroin or strong prescription painkillers.
9. WHY SCIENTISTS SAY ARCTIC REINDEER ARE SHRINKING
Ecologists suggest climate change may be the cause of weight loss in reindeer on the northern island of Svalbard, Norway.
10. ‘LA LA LAND’ DANCES OFF WITH MOST GOLDEN GLOBE NOMINATIONS
Damien Chazelle’s infectious Los Angeles musical sings its way to a leading seven Golden Globes nominations.
RECOMMENDED FOR YOU