The Latest: After remains found, fire investigators return

ASHLAND, Ohio (AP) — The Latest on the Ohio abduction case that led police to a kidnapping suspect and the remains of three people (all times local):

1 p.m.

The Ohio fire marshal’s investigators have returned to a home destroyed in a June blaze now that human remains have been found in nearby woods in connection with an abduction investigation.

Fire marshal spokeswoman Lindsey Burnworth says investigators were checking the property near Mansfield on Wednesday after decomposed remains were found behind it Tuesday.

A jailed kidnapping suspect had pointed police to those remains after they found two bodies at an Ashland home while investigating a reported abduction. The woman who had reported being held captive was found alive, along with the suspect.

Authorities say the suspect admitting he killed a woman at the Mansfield-area property in June, the same month it burned.

Burnworth says that investigation is open and a cause of the fire hasn’t been determined.


12:35 p.m.

Authorities have identified one of two bodies found at an Ohio house during an abduction investigation that led to the arrest of a kidnapping suspect who pointed police to a third set of human remains.

Ashland police said Wednesday that one of the bodies was that of Stacey Stanley, who’d been reported missing from Huron County. The police statement says the coroner hasn’t determined her cause of death or identified the second body.

Police went to the site Tuesday to follow up on a woman’s report that she was held captive. They found the woman, a 40-year-old male suspect and two bodies.

Stanley’s sister had told the Mansfield News Journal the 43-year-old had been missing since Thursday and was last seen at an Ashland gas station when she got a flat tire.


10:55 a.m.

Authorities say a woman reported being held captive, leading to the arrest of a kidnapping suspect, a murder confession and the discovery of three bodies in two Ohio counties.

The Mansfield News Journal says police went to an Ashland home after the woman called authorities Tuesday. They found the remains of two people at the supposedly vacant property.

The suspect, 40-year-old Shawn Grate, remained jailed Wednesday on an abduction charge. It wasn’t immediately clear whether he has an attorney.

Richland County’s prosecutor tells the News Journal that Grate admitted he had killed a woman in June at a different property near Mansfield. On Tuesday, investigators checked it and found a body in a wooded ravine behind that house, which was destroyed by fire.

Authorities are working to identify the remains.