Your daily look at late-breaking news, upcoming events and the stories that will be talked about Wednesday:
1. TRUMP SPARKS ANOTHER POLITICAL FIRESTORM
He says Second Amendment advocates might find a way to stop Hillary Clinton from rolling back gun rights if she’s elected — and Democrats accuse him of encouraging violence against his opponent.
2. BALTIMORE POLICE FACE WITHERING CRITICISM
The city’s officers routinely discriminate against blacks, use excessive force and aren’t adequately disciplined for misconduct, a federal investigation concludes.
3. COMPUTER OUTAGE COULD TARNISH DELTA’S ON-TIME REP
Delta had an impressive record — envied by other airlines — until the system-wide outage caused the cancellation of more than 1,500 flights.
4. PHELPS ADDS TWO MORE GOLDS
Michael Phelps and the United States win the 4×200-meter freestyle relay at the Rio Olympics, giving Phelps the 21st gold medal of his career.
5. WHO’S COZYING UP TO ‘DEAR FRIEND’ PUTIN
Turkey’s President Erdogan visits Russia, sending a message to his allies in the West, whom he blames for what he considers a lack of support after a failed coup.
6. FOES OF VENEZUELA’S PRESIDENT SUFFER SETBACK
Election officials set a timetable for a recall petition against Nicolas Maduro that makes a vote unlikely this year.
7. SLAYINGS REINFORCE FEMALE RUNNERS’ FEARS
The killings of two women who had gone running in New York City and rural Massachusetts help explain why untold numbers avoid working out alone, at night or in secluded places.
8. HOW FACEBOOK IS SMOOTHING PATH FOR ADVERTISERS
The social network giant announces plans to block ad blockers on the desktop version of its service, saying well-made, relevant ads can be “useful.”
9. INFANT’S DEATH IN TEXAS LINKED TO ZIKA VIRUS
The baby girl was born with microcephaly. Her mother had traveled to El Salvador while pregnant.
10. WHY BOYS GOT BAND BACK TOGETHER
Justin Timberlake and the other members of ‘N Sync reunite — for one night, at least — for fellow bandmate’s J.C. Chasez’s 40th birthday bash.
RECOMMENDED FOR YOU