The Latest: Brussels Airport to begin limited flights Sunday


BRUSSELS (AP) — The Latest on attacks in Brussels and Paris (all times local):

3:55 p.m.

The head of Brussels Airport says he hopes full passenger service will be restored by the end of June or beginning of July in time for the summer vacation season.

CEO Arnaud Feist, speaking Saturday at a news conference, says extremely limited passenger service is expected to begin Sunday with three flights by Brussels Airlines, Belgium’s leading carrier.

The airport has been closed since the March 22 suicide bombings that killed 16 victims at the airport and another 16 in the Brussels subway and wounded 270 people.

Feist called it “a sign of hope” that service will be restored so quickly after the devastating bombings claimed by the Islamic State group.

The airport, which usually handled about 600 flights a day, served about 1.5 million people in February, the month preceding the attack.

___

3:45 p.m.

The head of Brussels Airport says a limited number of passenger flights are planned to resume Sunday.

CEO Arnaud Feist made the announcement Saturday in a news conference at a hotel near the airport. He said the first service on Sunday should be three flights operated by Brussels Airlines, Belgium’s leading carrier, to Faro in Portugal, Turin in Italy and Athens.

The airport has been closed since the March 22 suicide bombings that killed 16 victims at the airport and another 16 in the Brussels subway and wounded 270 people.

Feist says the country has just lived through “the darkest days in the history of aviation in Belgium.”

___

3:25 p.m.

Belgian police and soldiers have fanned out across Brussels, making arrests to stop protesters from the far-left and far-right who are trying to break a ban on demonstrations.

Police handcuffed and hauled away a man in the Brussels neighborhood of Molenbeek early Saturday where a demonstration was planned by a France-based far-right group. Molenbeek, a neighborhood with a large Muslim community, has served as the departure point for many of those who attacked Paris in November and Brussels in March. Those attacks left over 160 dead.

Police, some on horseback, also have moved into the Bourse neighborhood in central Brussels where a counter-demonstration was planned. Some people there have been detained.

___

2:35 p.m.

The Belgian federal prosecutor’s office has charged a Belgian with participating in the activities of a terrorist group for his alleged role in a plot to attack France, uncovered after the arrest of a Frenchman and discovery of a huge cache of weapons and explosives.

A statement on Saturday named the 33-year-old suspect only as Y.A. It said he’s in custody and has been charged in the case that grew out of the arrest last week of Reda Kriket in the Paris suburb of Boulogne-Billancourt.

Paris prosecutor Francois Molins said an “imminent” attack was thwarted with Kriket’s arrest and the discovery of the explosives stash in suburban Argenteuil outside of Paris.

A third man was arrested in Rotterdam in the case, separate from the deadly attacks in Paris and Brussels.