Editor’s note: The Champaign County Historical Society is sharing with readers a collection of “Then and Now” photos of the area.
In the older of these “Then and Now” photos, in a collection being assembled by Ward Lutz, three buildings on the west side of the first block of North Main Street, Urbana, are shown. In circa 1925, photographer William H. Whitham photographed, from left, Mammoth furniture store in The Johnson Building at 118 N. Main St., The National Bank of Urbana at 120 N. Main St. and The Federal Bakery at 124 N. Main St.
The same buildings with updated facades are shown in the 2015 “Now” photo. Presently, two businesses occupy the same space as the three did. From left are The Guild Galleries and The Perpetual Federal Savings Bank. The newer photo was taken by Lutz, an active member of the Champaign County Historical Society and Museum, 809 East Lawn Ave., Urbana.
The society has a search-able catalog of its artifacts at www.champaigncountyhistoricalmuseum.org and a facebook page, www.facebook.com/Champaignohhistoricalmuseum.
The museum is open at no charge Mondays and Tuesdays from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. and other times by appointment. The museum has an all-volunteer staff and is supported by membership fees, donations, the Oktoberfest and the Champaign County Commission.
Submitted by the Champaign County Historical Society
RECOMMENDED FOR YOU