Looking Back: Mott’s Groceries


This is a photo of the George Mott Grocery at 114 Miami St. circa 1903 (#A2449). Mott is standing in the doorway. George P. Mott and Mary Sticksel were married in Cincinnati and immediately moved to Urbana to open this, the first Mott Grocery. It was successful until about 1907-8 when the Erie Railroad closed its railroad car building shop on Bloomfield Avenue. This shop was the source of income for many of the grocery’s customers. This grocery closed about 1915. Subsequent locations of Mott Groceries in Urbana were 304 Louden St., 639 N. Russell St. and 309 E. Ward St. The last Mott Grocery closed in 1972. The Champaign County Historical Society is an all-volunteer, not-for-profit organization that preserves, protects, archives and displays artifacts that tell the county’s history. The society operates on donations and dues and has a free public museum of history at East Lawn Avenue in Urbana

This is a photo of the George Mott Grocery at 114 Miami St. circa 1903 (#A2449). Mott is standing in the doorway. George P. Mott and Mary Sticksel were married in Cincinnati and immediately moved to Urbana to open this, the first Mott Grocery. It was successful until about 1907-8 when the Erie Railroad closed its railroad car building shop on Bloomfield Avenue. This shop was the source of income for many of the grocery’s customers. This grocery closed about 1915. Subsequent locations of Mott Groceries in Urbana were 304 Louden St., 639 N. Russell St. and 309 E. Ward St. The last Mott Grocery closed in 1972. The Champaign County Historical Society is an all-volunteer, not-for-profit organization that preserves, protects, archives and displays artifacts that tell the county’s history. The society operates on donations and dues and has a free public museum of history at East Lawn Avenue in Urbana
This is a photo of the George Mott Grocery at 114 Miami St. circa 1903 (#A2449). Mott is standing in the doorway. George P. Mott and Mary Sticksel were married in Cincinnati and immediately moved to Urbana to open this, the first Mott Grocery. It was successful until about 1907-8 when the Erie Railroad closed its railroad car building shop on Bloomfield Avenue. This shop was the source of income for many of the grocery’s customers. This grocery closed about 1915. Subsequent locations of Mott Groceries in Urbana were 304 Louden St., 639 N. Russell St. and 309 E. Ward St. The last Mott Grocery closed in 1972. The Champaign County Historical Society is an all-volunteer, not-for-profit organization that preserves, protects, archives and displays artifacts that tell the county’s history. The society operates on donations and dues and has a free public museum of history at East Lawn Avenue in Urbana Photo courtesy of the Champaign County Historical Society.