Gordon’s Clothing Store did business on the southwest corner of North Main and West Court streets, Urbana, as noted in the circa 1926 photo. The Kroger store is located south of Gordon’s on North Main Street. Note the canned goods in the store window. Not visible in this photo, located between the two stores is a sign for W. M. Rock, Justice of the Peace. Presumably the office was located above the Kroger Store. Note the barber pole on the corner. Presumably a barber shop was located down the stairs and under the clothing store.
The circa 1955 photo of the same corner shows the Urbana Appliance Store, owned by Ottie Cowan and Bob Craig, at 128 N. Main St. Charles Seitz, cobbler, was located in the basement at the corner of North Main and West Court streets, later occupied by a tanning salon. The Jewel Box jewelry store occupied the location of the Kroger store shown in the 1926 photo.
Other businesses later located at 128 N. Main St. were The Townsmen Mens Clothing Store, Richard Melvin, proprietor, The Stickley Insurance Agency, William Stickley, proprietor, and Stocksdale Insurance owned by Edward Stocksdale.
In addition to the location shown in 1926 photo, Kroger was located at 310 Miami St. (Caring Kitchen) and 741 Scioto St.(Save-A-Lot).
Submitted by the Champaign County Historical Society.
RECOMMENDED FOR YOU