The Urbana Community ParkFest! returns to Melvin Miller Park this Friday and Saturday, July 8 and 9, offering a packed schedule of activities for children, teens and adults. The festival, which proved popular last year, is put on by the Urbana Parks and Recreation Department and community sponsors, showcasing the park’s rich array of recreational facilities.
ParkFest! includes live music, several tournaments such as tennis, sand volleyball, three-on-three basketball, baseball, disc golf and pickleball, two pool parties, a two-mile run, a fishing derby, a cruise-in, food vendors, and more. The park is located at 731 Children’s Home Rd. and accessible from Park Lane.
“We had a great time last year, and an excellent turnout,” Chris Stokes, Parks and Recreation superintendent, said. “It’s an excellent event for the whole family, and we look forward to even greater attendance this year.”
Friday, July 8 Events
· Concert on the park stage by Honey Compass, 6 to 10 p.m.
· Passport to Fishing program for youth, 6 p.m., at the pond, by the Ohio Department of Natural Resources (ODNR). Free registration on-site (bring your own bait). First 50 kids receive a free rod and reel.
· Corn hole at the stage area, 5 p.m.
· Classic car cruise-in, 6 to 9 p.m.
· Public pool party with DJ RTA Jams, 7-9:30 p.m.
· Wine by the glass by St. Ives Winery of Champaign County and Heidelberg beer truck, 5 to 10 p.m., at stage area
· King of the Hill 8U-14U baseball tournaments
Saturday, July 9 Events
Entry forms available at the Champaign Family YMCA and at facebook.com/UrbanaParkFestival:
Disc golf, 8 a.m.
Pickleball, 8 a.m.
Huntsman Elite 3 on 3 basketball, 9 a.m., 10U, 13U, 15U & 18U, 9 a.m.
4-on-4 co-ed sand volleyball, 9 a.m.
Tennis, 9 a.m.
King of the Hill 8U-14U baseball tournaments
Live Music, at Stage
The Muleskinner Band, 4-5:30 p.m.
Allison Road Band, 6-10 p.m.
· Two-mile run, registration 7:30 a.m., start 8 a.m.
· Fishing derby with the Champaign County Bass Masters and ODNR, 9 a.m.-noon, at pond, free (bring own bait)
· Corn hole, 11 a.m., free
· Celebrity dunk tank, 10 a.m.-8 p.m., featuring Urbana City Schools staff
· Inflatables, 10 a.m.-7 p.m., free, sponsored by Urbana United Methodist Church
· DJ RT Jams, 10 a.m.-4 p.m.
· Urbana City Pool public swim, noon to 7 p.m., $1 admission and season passes
· Rock wall, high ropes and zip line, noon to 4 p.m., $5
· NFL Punt, Pass and Kick Competition, 1 p.m., free, register on site
· Urbana Fire Department water games, 2-4 p.m.
· Free public pool party, 7-9 p.m., kick-off of Week of Hope, sponsored by local churches
· Balloon animals, Michele Sloan
· Food vendors, 8 a.m.-8 p.m.
· Exhibitors: Main Graphics, coloring contest and handouts; Kids Learning Center, handouts; Security National Bank, face painting, games and handouts; YMCA Preschool Learning Center, handouts; and Erin Patton State Farm Insurance, games.
· Beer truck, 11 a.m.-10 p.m.
King of Hill 12U softball tournament also will be held in conjunction with ParkFest!, 4 p.m. July 8 to 5 p.m. July 10.
For more information, or to volunteer at the festival, contact Cheryl Wade at email@example.com or the city park office at 937-652-1053.
Many businesses and organizations are supporting ParkFest and the Parks and Recreation Department as sponsors. Main Graphics and the Champaign Family YMCA are primary ParkFest partners and sponsors. Other sponsors include:
American Pan Company, Champaign Residential Services, Inc., Fetz Plumbing, Doug and Mollie Fox, Johnson Welded Products, KTH Parts Industries, Marty’s Waterworks, McKeever Excavating, ORBIS, Padgett Business Services, Erin Patton State Farm Insurance, Paul’s Catering, The Peoples Savings Bank, Security National Bank, Stocksdale Insurance, Superior Painting and Restoration, Urbana Lions Club, Urbana Rotary Club, and Walter and Stowe Funeral Home.
Information submitted by event organizers
RECOMMENDED FOR YOU